churchHistory of the early churches and religion is not as well documented as other the aspects of the lives of the early settlers. We know from all recorded records that Nehemiah Leavitt; the original settler of Smyrna was a Methodist Minister from Royalton, Vermont. Being a Methodist minister, he brought other settlers of the Methodist faith with him. In the past, there have been other churches in Smyrna, but now the only two churches in Smyrna are the United Methodist Church and the Church in the Amish Village. There are several churches within twenty minutes of Smyrna, they are: Bethel Pentecostal Church, Oakfield Baptist Church, Seventh Day Advent Church, a couple of Catholic Churches and the Church of the Latter Day Saints. The original Methodist church built in 1880, burned in 1932. In 1932, volunteers and church members constructed the present church. By researching early records of the town, we can glean that the citizens of early days held church services and prayer meetings in schools and in private homes. In reading the history of the town and old correspondence, it is apparent that the teaching and practicing of Christianity was of utmost importance to the settlers and leaders of the town.